YFD News

    Cold Weather Tip - Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

    Carbon-monoxide-danger th

    With the colder mornings upon us in Yakima, Carbon Monoxide becomes more of an issue since your doors and windows are shut to stay warm.

    Unfortunately 150+ people die on average each year from consumer product-related carbon monoxide. Knowledge and awareness are the keys to protecting your family.

    Safety Tips

    • Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician.
    • Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open. Use generators outside only, far away from the home.
    • Never bring a charcoal grill into the house for heating or cooking. Do not barbeque in the garage.
    • Never use a gas range or oven for heating.
    • Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
    • Install battery-operated CO alarms or CO alarms with battery backup in your home outside separate sleeping areas.
    • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, and confusion. If you suspect CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately, and then call 911.


    Know the Symptoms of CO Poisoning

    Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:

    • Headache
    • Fatigue
    • Shortness of breath
    • Nausea
    • Dizziness


    High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:

    • Mental confusion
    • Vomiting
    • Loss of muscular coordination
    • Loss of consciousness
    • Ultimately death


    Symptom severity is related to both the CO level and the duration of exposure. For slowly developing residential CO problems, occupants and/or physicians can mistake mild to moderate CO poisoning symptoms for the flu, which sometimes results in tragic deaths. For rapidly developing, high level CO exposures (e.g., associated with use of generators in residential spaces), victims can rapidly become mentally confused, and can lose muscle control without having first experienced milder symptoms; they will likely die if not rescued.



    Read more

    Yakima Fire Department supports Camp Prime Time efforts with a raffle.



    The Yakima Fire Department is holding a raffle for your choice of 1 of the 3 pedal cars seen here. The tickets are $1.00 each and are available upstairs in the Administration Office of Fire Station 91. ALL proceds go to benefit Camp Prime Time. For more information on Camp Prime Time, go to their website at: http://campprimetime.org/

    026 043 031 033

    034 037 039 041

    Read more

    October Safety Tip - Cooking Fires


    Keep your kids safe by having a three foot safe zone around your stove when cooking.

    Here is a question for you: 

    What is the leading cause of kitchen fires?

    • Favorite TV Show?
    • Pouring a glass of soda?
    • Leaving the stove when there is food cooking?
    • Posting photos on Facebook?

    Click on the flyer for the answer

    Read more

    The 21st Annual Yakima Fire Department Spaghetti Feed is October 7th

    The 21st Annual Spaghetti Feed will be held at Fire Station 91 from 4:00PM to 7:30PM. Come down and join us for some good food and help us support the Washington State Council of Firefighters Burn Foundation

    See the flyer for more information


    Read more

    HEAT WARNING for your pets

    With record heat in the forecast, we are posting information this week to help you understand the risks and the potential for serious injury, even death caused by these high temperatures.

    People love their pets, as much as children but some will not hesitate to leave their pet in the car while they shop or in the back of a pickup truck. Both of these are dangerous and mots of the time fatal when the temps get above 95 degrees. If you are wearing lighter clothes because it is hot, think about your pet, it cannot shed it's coat, or get water anytime it wants like you can, so consider leaving your pet at home for the routine trip to the store. It may save you a visit to the Vet! The link below, cool your dog has great information to keep your pets safe during this hot and dry weather.



    My Dog Is Cool Safety


    Read more


Customer Service Survey

If you’ve ever had cause to use the Yakima Fire Department’s services – whether in an emergency or under non-emergency circumstances, we’d like to hear from you.  Please click on the blue survey link below and tell us about your customer service experience. Information collected remains confidential and will be used only as a means to ensure the needs of our customers are being met.

This survey is intended for people living within the city limits of Yakima.

2014 Responses

Structure Fires: 111 EMS: 4353
Vehicle Fires: 59 Tech Rescue: 18
Other Fires: 252 HazMat: 50
Motor Vehicle Accidents:  491
All Other Calls: 2102
Responses Year To Date:  7606

Total Responses for 2013: 8,232