We would like to congratulate Mike and Chelsey Quaale on receipt of their Good Samaritan Award during the Yakima City Council Meeting on October 7, 2014! But "Congratulations" just isn't quite right. We need to sincerely thank you for being a part of OUR community!
Fire Chief Bob Stewart presenting Mike and Chelsey with their award at the Yakima City Council Meeting.
In case you didn't know, Mike and Chelsey were on their way to the Central Washington State Fair on Sunday, September 21 when they noticed a man in his yard whose clothing was on fire as a result of a fire in his garage. Instead of continuing on their drive, they stopped and jumped into action! Chelsey went to the aid of the man, and Mike began to tackle the garage fire with a nearby garden hose. While assisting, Chelsey suffered a couple of burns herself. The gentleman they stopped to help is still at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, and has a long road to recovery ahead of him. He is extremely grateful that these two people so unselfishly stopped to help him, and he is confident that if it wasn't for the quick action of the Quaale's, he would be in much worse condition, or possibly not have survived the incident at all.
If you would like to watch the October 7 Council meeting, feel free to visit http://188.8.131.52/Cablecast/Public/Show.aspx?ChannelID=2&ShowID=6358
Our best wishes in the victim's recovery, and again THANK YOU Mike and Chelsey!
The Quaale family after the Council Meeting, along with the parents of the burn victim.